Oh Big Baby… That’s how I feel too. It’s very Costanza
The Boston Celtics are the Champions. THE CELTICS ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!
I’m spent. I’m wiped out. If this thing had gone to 7 games… I would have been reduced to drooling onto my laptop. And really… this thing hasn’t quite hit me yet. It’s like its all a dream.
I’m happy for KG and Ray. But I’m happiest for Paul Pierce. KG and Ray fulfilled personal quests… but I feel like Paul fulfilled a destiny. He’s been a Celtic from day one… and at times that worked against him because the organization was so bad. He’s had some rough times too… but now all of that is in the past. Paul Pierce truly led the Boston Celtics to a championship. The fans got what they deserved… and now… so will Paul Pierce. He will be elevated to the pantheon of “All-Time Great Boston Athlete.” He’s not just with Bird, Havlicek, Russel and the rest. He’s there with Orr and Esposito. With Brady and Stanley Morgan. With Yaz and Ted. Pierce is a Boston guy. He always was… and now he always will be… because he led us to the promised land.
As for KG and Ray… I’m thrilled for them. Ray showed that sacrifice has its rewards. Garnett showed that it’s teams, not individuals, focusing on the right things that win. They deserve their rings. To borrow from Kevin after the game… they’re certified.
Some other quick thoughts:
- I just love that all that ‘Zen Master will totally outclass Doc’ crap can be put to bed. Doc and his staff were better (Suck on that, Simmons).
- I also love that the Kobe / Jordan comparisons are dead. Bury ‘em (until next year, of course). Kobe is a special talent, but he was outplayed by Paul Pierce… who drove by him consistently. Pierce, James Posey (heretofore to be referred to as “The Mongoose”) and Allen also showed that Kobe can be slowed… and forced into a style of offense that hurts his team.
- A little gloating: I think we saw why I was so down on the Pau Gasol trade. I’ll admit that it helped them more than I thought it would… but ultimately what I was saying from the beginning held true: Gasol is so soft defensively that he can become a liability. The Lakers had no muscle on the front line, and that REALLY cost them in this series.
- And our bench showed a couple of things: (1) its better than the Lakers bench. And (2) those guys are perhaps the most disciplined bunch of guys in the NBA. Guys like Leon Powe, Eddie House and Big Baby racked up DNP’s… but then came in and contributed… just like they always do. I’m not sure everyone realizes how remarkable that is.
- And finally… it was proven once again: DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!
Before we get to some of the links (I’ll post many more later)… a couple of notes about RedsArmy.com. We will spend the next couple of weeks really reflecting on the season. Then after that, we’ll expand our focus a little to include draft and full NBA coverage. Also, I AM going to the parade tomorrow. I hope to have many, many pictures. After that, we’ll work on a special championship section of RedsArmy.com. We’ll also work on a little redesign this summer. Thanks again to all of our readers. Today is already our best traffic day yet… and we’re not even close to being done. Congrats to the Celtics and all their fans. ENJOY IT!!!
Herald: Glory goes to Celtics | Big 3 leaves floor united as Champs | Return to the High C’s | Pierce reaches pinnacle | Ray shines in tough time | KG cashes in | Rondo makes point | Kobe can’t find words | World gone green | KG on Wheaties Box | Globe: Unbelieveable? No… Believable!! | Celtics run away with title | Ring it up | Celebration photos | Pierce gets a piece of immortality | Garnett finally wins a title | Allen takes care of business | Rondo had ragin’ intensity in final game | Souza: Early dawn edition of post-game thoughts | Sweet 17 | Megliola: New Big 3 wins just in time for past greats | SI: C’s unlike any other champion | Hollinger: Defense delivers title